Problem: This drinking water line under a dirt road was struck and broken when somebody (not us) did not dig safely for the electrical. Two months later houses in the neighborhood weren't getting their water.
Solution part I: We first inspected the 3" line with our Drinking Water Camera. What we found was a line half full of heavy gravel that couldn't be flushed from the hydrants. The camera pinpointed the low spot in the line where most of the material had collected.
Solution part II: SFVE daylighted the line at the problem spot, digging with the vacuum to make a safe working area. Then we used sanitized equipment and water to jet 1,000 feet in both directions from that spot, pulling the material out of the line. As the water and gravel flowed out into the pit, we vacuumed it up. The Drinking Water Camera then verified that the lines were clear, and the vacuum maintained the work area while the repairs to the potable water line were done.
Problem: This is a water main like many in rural New Mexico: made of steel and over 50 years old! The condition and position of a line this age is unknown. That makes it difficult for the Water Dept. of the local community to maintain and repair it.
Solution: Solution: The owners of the utility installed a simple 2” tap in the main (where they had to dig it up to replace a very old valve). Santa Fe Vacuum used this tap to inspect the line with our Drinking Water Camera in three directions as it was in service and under pressure. Within 3 hours, the utility owners had information about their line that had never been known before, including:
Problem: A basketball found its way 115ft down a leachate line at the landfill. Nobody could figure out a way to retrieve it.
Solution: SFVE modified a pneumatic claw to grab and puncture the basketball. We sent both the claw and our SeeSnake sewer camera down the line on a PVC straw. When we reached the ball at 112 ft, we maneuvered it using the camera and the claw closed securely onto it. Then we pulled it right out! This approach solved the problem and did not require any excavation or modification of the leachate line.